View Single Post
Old 08-12-2006, 07:55 AM   #12
P-nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by berj
The reason I was given (and it makes some sense to me) is this:

Certain colours are cheaper than others because they are requested for more cars, thus they can paint more cars at a time in the paint shop. For the less frequently used colours they must do the work of changing colours (I presume that theirs some work involved in moving the paint shop(s) from one colour to the next) more often.

In other words, it's not the paint that's costing more money but the labour required to change the paint more often. This would explain them moving speed yellow from an item that costs to a standard colour -- so many people were requesting it that they could paint enough cars at one time (or in a row.. not sure how it all works) to make it economically feasable.
Precisely. The most costly scenario for Porsche would be to have all the colors be the same price, because it will greatly increase the labor involved in setting up to shoot a wide variety of colors. So, instead they set the pricing to encourage buyers to select the colors that are most commonly requested or that require the least amount of setup expense to shoot them. This explains why Cobalt Blue was moved from $3k to $690, and Lapis Blue went the other way - Cobalt Blue proved to be a popular option and Lapis did not.

The optimal and cheapest solution for Porsche would be to shoot all their cars in only one color - but of course they wouldn't sell cars that way.

Probably the only reason the $690 metallic colors aren't free is because the paint does cost more, and metallic is more difficult and time consuming to finish.