View Single Post
Old 08-15-2017, 03:21 PM   #1
Coaster

Garage
misfire on 4-5-6 bank after replacing head

I had a cracked head on the 4-5-6 side and had my shop replace it with a used one. No intermix, just coolant to cylinder.

A few days after getting it back I had a CEL for P0300 and P0304/5/6. Initial diagnosis was a bad cat due to the coolant running thru it. Replaced it with one from Woody.

A few days after that, same CEL - replaced the downstream O2 sensor. Timing was reset and is "dead on"

A few days after that, same CEL - diagnosis is bad coils and spark plugs, Both were changed about a year ago but they said the spark plugs look really rough.

I think the issue is related to the head rebuild and something tied to all three cylinders. The solenoid for the valves was swapped but the CEL didn't follow.

Some possible areas include the fuel system pressure, an electrical gremlin or short in the wiring related to all three cylinders, valve lift fault (flat based tappets), and MAF.

Any other suggestions on how to track this thing down?
2003 S, 6 Speed, PCM, PSM, Bose, Litronics with washers, on its' second LN IMSB, comfort top, UDP, 987 engine mount, 997 RMS, Koni Sport Shocks, H&R springs, Techno brace, comfort blinkers, nin8six windscreen, particlewave light up cubby
Coaster is offline   Reply With Quote