View Single Post
Old 08-14-2017, 05:53 PM   #15
eric-d

Brake time

Ok Brake time -

The Girodiscs are a great solution to gain proper competition spec 2 piece construction for weight savings and increased cooling potential.

The set is larger in diameter by 22mm front and 27mm rear, (340mm/325mm vs 318/298mm) and includes color coded billet spacers and longer bolts to set the calipers in the proper radial location.

And even though the set is larger in diameter, Front is 19.8lbs and giro is 17.2 lbs 2.6lb diff each. In total the system loses about 11.5lbs in total off all the OE rotors. That’s a worthwhile loss in rotational inertia.

The mechanical brake torque is up by 8% based on the caliper piston center being a moved out radially by 11mm (front) from where the OE was. Torque actually increases additionally from the higher friction value of the pads, but I don’t have metrics for the difference. Another bonus is that fade resistance is increased via the rotor having 9% more surface area, while still cooling better based on 2 piece construction and an improved vane design.

The Girodisc rotors have a proper curved vane design to cool better with more air reaching the vents and pumping out. It’s a great win-win to loose rotational inertia and gain thermal and brake torque performance.

I am also trying out the Girodisc SS pads – these are an intermediate solution between a full race pad and OE. They come recommended as a good pad for something that is primarily a roadcar and needs to perform at trackdays.

I will let you guys know if they make significant dust or noise over the OEMs.

Last item is Pentosin (ATE) Super fluid. Picked this one as it has a 500F dry boil point and a 330F wet point. Because I don’t want to be concerned to drain fluid once or twice a year, this fluid makes sense as it has a very low hygroscopic (water attracting) index. Racing fluids like Motul are really good, but are more hygroscopic and not meant to be left in a system very long. Also the Boxster isn’t known to boil fluid as a common issue. So this fluid is more than enough for my use.

Spacers and bolts from kit

Front rotor comparison

Rear rotor comparison
eric-d is offline   Reply With Quote