View Single Post
Old 08-14-2017, 02:22 PM   #13
darkstormvx

They haven't charged me anything yet. The 776.00 figure is to (diagnose) the problem by pulling the transmission, which means I'll end up spending way more replacing the IMS, and clutch stuff if they do that; (I'd be stupid not to). And that might not even be the problem. They already came to the conclusion to do this after they claim they troubleshot the problem. This was after they told me they hadn't checked the filter and oil yet.

I'm initially hesitant to start questioning a porsche tech, but I wasn't given any details on how they came to this conclusion. I suspect they are going to charge to check the filter and drain the oil, and I suspect it will be over $100, when I can jack it up and check the filter myself in 5 mins.

The fact that they have not checked the oil filter, or asked me to do this is what concerns me. For me, that brings the integrity of the technician into question. To suspect IMS failure and not check that first?! It makes me want to do it myself and not let them do it, or take it somewhere else. Should I press the issue? Because I can respectfully do so. Still, that's not a position I like to be in; I shouldn't have to tell the experienced one what to do in order to save money. Its like they just want to sell me.

I wish had the thought to record the sound before I pulled over. I'm somewhat sure it was something timing related. I'm thinking I over-revved or something, I did get halfway into the red one shift. Even pushing over 200000 miles I'm not perfect. But I love my engine.

Last edited by darkstormvx; 08-14-2017 at 02:45 PM.
darkstormvx is offline   Reply With Quote