View Single Post
Old 08-14-2017, 09:20 AM   #1
darkstormvx

987 Engine Failure Help

Hey Guys,

I have a 2005 987 S, 202,000 miles on it. Yesterday after some spirited driving I ran into engine trouble and I am at odds with what I've learned, versus what the shop is telling me. The car has never had an engine problem before, and it is driven spiritedly at least 1 a month for the last 9 years. It used to be my daily until a few years ago. Never tracked and on original clutch. Looking for any suggestions.

I was pushing it and everything was normal. The driving included me hitting redline a few times. After slowing down to cruise, at around 70mph I noticed a tacking/flapping sound. This sound pulsated every few seconds; volume was lower, then higher, in a rhythm. This tacking went faster and slower with engine rpm. So I slowed down a bit to listen, and, after a few miles, when trying to accelerate slightly, the car barely did. Felt like the backpressure u get when u run out of gas and try to accelerate. Then again, I was in 6th at around 55 mph... So I pulled over and got out to look under, and engine cut off a few seconds after I walked to the back. No check engine lights came on; oil levels and temperature were good. Did not try to restart.

I had it towed to a local indy I deal with whose prices recently increased to 140$ an hr. So naturally I want to pinpoint the problem as economically as possible. The 1 porsche mechanic there has done well but is very blatant with his diagnosis at times with little detail. I hardly get to talk directly to him but have not pushed issues. There are few economical dealers I have found in the Hampton Roads area.

So the shop calls me today and tells me they think its the IMS bearing that went out. I must note that I didn't see any metallic items last oil change, around 7000 mi ago. They quoted me 776.00 to diagnose. I am conflicted because based on what I've heard about the IMS going, its quite catastrophic, there is a big oil leak, and a much crazier clattering is heard when this happens and the engine immediately dies due to metals flying around.

I suspect this may be bent valves, a chain failure, lifter issue or the like but I'm no mechanic. I read forums. At the same time I don't know how to go about questioning someone with years of experience. I don't know if the oil filter was checked or compression test was done or anything. I will be quite upset if they tear down to the IMS and its not damaged.

I'd appreciate if anyone has any suggestions on how I should proceed. Thx.

Last edited by darkstormvx; 08-14-2017 at 09:38 AM.
darkstormvx is offline   Reply With Quote