View Single Post
Old 08-02-2017, 10:26 AM   #2
rick3000
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
When you say microfiber bonnet do you mean a microfiber cutting or polishing pad?

I just polished my 986 with a Griot's polisher for the first time. I used a 5" microfiber cutting pad with D300 compound, then a 5" white foam pad with Menzerna SF3500. I also used 3.5" foam pads in orange and white for the small areas, and detail work. I have been blogging about the detail on my site, but here's a quick summary of my thoughts.

I was not being super aggressive, but I did not find a huge difference between an orange foam pad and the MF cutting pad. The MF pad also required a lot of frequent cleaning compared to the foam (using compressed air was messy, and a towel was not very effective, I ended up brushing the MF pad a lot). I ended up preferring the foam, because the thicker pad makes working on the many curves of the 986 much easier (even the door panels have a slight concave curve). I had trouble with the thin MF pad everywhere other than the hood. I also ended up preferring a 3.5" pad to the 5" pad everywhere other than the hood. I used a 3" backing plate on my 6" polisher with 3.5" pads, and it worked great. I have read the smaller Griot's polisher is underpowered.

The Meg's D300 compound works really well, and does not dust very much. I finished with Menzerna SF3500, but it dusted a lot, which made removing the polish a bit of a mess. Besides the dusting this combo left the paint looking fantastic!

Last edited by rick3000; 08-02-2017 at 11:23 AM. Reason: spelling
rick3000 is offline   Reply With Quote