View Single Post
Old 07-27-2017, 03:43 AM   #14
Disaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snipershot View Post
I realize opinions vary, but im thinking about buying a newer boxter, and was wondering which one to buy. I dont have a huge budget, and im in no big hurry. I have a 2001 Boxster S, and ive been thinking about a 2006 S, 2009 S, or possibly a 2012ish Boxster S. It seems the 2006-2008 models are the best priced, but that pesky IMS issue lingers with those. Any similar issues with the newer models? Is the 3.4 noticably better than the 3.2? All opinions welcome. Thanks!

Joe
I have a 1998 986 base model 5 speed. These were the sales points for me in going to a 987.2 PDK model...some reliability, some comfort and convenience.

1. Glass rear window.
2. Top is faster and can be operated while rolling (not necessary to stop and apply handbrake.)
3. Heated ventilated seats (improves the comfort level and therefore the length of the top down driving season.
4. Cupholders
5. Glovebox (though I did lose the storage behind the seat with the Bose system.)
6. Reliability (30k less miles, no IMS, no cam chain tensioner ?, etc.)
7. Looks (987 is more serious looking....less cute.)
8. Performance (brakes are now same as S model.)
9. Body condition (12 years newer, less dings and paint chips.)
10. Fewer rattles and squeaks.
11. Frunk slightly deeper (can fit full sized suitcase.)

The negatives (after owning and driving the newer car.)

1. Suspension is less compliant...but yet doesn't seem to yield any improvement in handling.
2. Steering is way underpowered at speed. It isn't necessary to be this stiff to be precise.
3. No spare tire.
4. PCM is still a far cry from modern head units (I had a modern Pioneer double din in my 986.)
5. PDK is possibly the new IMS bearing. While it's reliability is much better, if it fails the only option is a new transmission which runs $16k from Porsche....$8k for a rebuild.
6. Service access is not quite as good.
7. Considerably more expensive to buy and insure. Fun factor to cost ratio is considerably worse.

Last edited by Disaster; 07-27-2017 at 04:36 AM.
Disaster is offline   Reply With Quote