View Single Post
Old 07-18-2017, 01:14 PM   #1
Silber

IMS - Going with SKF hybrid

EDIT: Went a completely different direction, new thread here : http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/67943-ims-2rs-freeze-plug.html

Decided to do my IMS bearing and go my own way, sort of.

bearing I will be using is:

SKF-Bearing 6204-2RSLTN9/HC5C3WT

Edit: Due to excellent research by Markus, it has been determined this bearing is not suitable. Please see rest of thread, but looks like I will use Pelican Parts bearing in kit.

it has been used with success by other porschephiles and is only $150. Will be using the original center bolt. It mainly seems to fail when the bearing fails, and by then it is too late anyway.

Edit: I have purchased the pelican parts IMS kit to get the ancillary hardware and uprated center bolt.

This SKF Bearing has a polymer cage, however, the polymer SKF uses has a 10,000 hour lifespan at 230F which equates to 350,000 miles roughly. Since I plan to change the bearing every 50-60K or so, that should be more than fine.

Edit: I am wondering if I could push this bearing closer to the 100K mark. i'm thinking that might be reasonable.

C3 allows for thermal expansion.

The one area I am thinking of diverging from the norm significantly is whether the bearing should be sealed or open. The oil in the crankcase is pre-filter. Everything that washes back to the sump can meander into the bearing if it is open to the oil. Any little flake can drift over and trash your IMS bearing. With seals on the IMS bearing you have at least some protection as only the smallest of particles could meander between the seal and the race. Greases in bearings nowadays are synthetic and much higher quality than even 10 years ago, so I am not as worried about the grease drying out as maybe I would have been previously.

Anyone have thoughts on this?

regards,

Silber

Last edited by Silber; 07-27-2017 at 08:19 AM.
Silber is offline   Reply With Quote