View Single Post
Old 07-16-2017, 11:26 AM   #19
Need_for_speed

I think I figured out what that electrical part is...

So, just to clarify, when I removed the vent valve, this little electrical part fell out and was dangling by a thin wire taped to the filler neck. There wasn't anything in the Pelican guide to tell me what it was, but I assumed that it must fit inside the vent valve. I didn't get a picture of it, but it's around an inch and a half long and about an eighth of an inch thick. It looked to me like a transducer or some sort of switch. It appeared to fit perfectly in the inside corner of the vent valve, so I placed it there when I replaced the switch.

After a little research, it turns out that the part in question is a reed switch and it does indeed fit inside the vent valve. A number of people have replaced the valve without realizing this switch fell out, then discover they can't put gas in the tank. I must have placed mine in the correct spot as I just filled up with no issue. Whew! Luckily, I happened to see this little part dangling from the wire. If it had fallen down behind the fill pipe, I probably wouldn't have noticed.
Need_for_speed is offline   Reply With Quote