View Single Post
Old 07-07-2017, 07:14 AM   #1
Oldcarguy

Where I (try to) go fast

About a year ago I wanted to get into wheel to wheel racing. I got turned on to kart racing by a friend who has been doing it since he was a kid. Relatively inexpensive, physically demanding and a real blast. ~$11.5k new, $4-7.5k used for a decent one or two season kart plus a couple grand for stand, spares, etc. My racing trailer is a vnose enclosed 12x6 that I pull with the Explo.

A well prepared kart in my class can pull a constant 1.7 - 1.9g with transient spikes to over 3.0g in the corners. Mandatory equipment includes a rib protector to limit rib bruising / fractures. Geared for OVRP, I'm hitting ~73 mph at 14,600 rpm when I begin braking for turn one. Geared for top speed on a long level straight, I can hit ~95 mph.

If you've never driven a race prepped kart, give it a try sometime. Some tracks keep a few around as rentals. Usually, you can take one out after you complete a track training and assessment session in a lower power kart.

Our home track is Oakland Valley Race Park. Very technical, very challenging.

Here's the track:

And a couple of pics of my kart:

#317 550 Spyder Anniversary Edition 2004 Boxster S, 3.8L Flat Six Innovations engine, PSS9s, etc, etc . . .
The contents of my posts are for entertainment only. As confirmed by my many motor sports fails, I am not qualified to give product endorsements or mechanical advice
Oldcarguy is offline   Reply With Quote