View Single Post
Old 06-28-2017, 07:45 AM   #55
spinedoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by kk2002s View Post
From the number of threads this is a common occurrence for must of us. I too see different behavior between my common Box SUV and the P-car.
There's challenges direct and sublet. You notice it when someone just has to pass you and when you don't bite, they drive normal.
The tailgaters - either your a Porsche and expected to blow down the hwy @90-100 mph but your just cruising 5-10 over in the flow so you can relax and enjoy the drive
OR
It's first thing in the drive and your warming up the car, going the speed limit (especially in the 25 mph residential) not letting it all hang out.

The best was driving home on the interstate one night, top down stereo blasting. A new Ferrari pulls up in the right lane and matches my conservative 74 mph, revving their 12 cylinders - the challenge was on. I just dropped the hammer (Tom Cruise Days of Thunder reference) to 3rd and unleashed the fury of 252 HPs. That Ferrari was so intimidated they just pulled off on their exit never to challenge a 986 S again.

Maybe I was that guy - "Why do Ferrari's send Porsche drivers into rages???"
LOL....you would have lost that race.

I was driving home last year, and there's a local guy who has a Yellow Lamborghini Gallardo, and I saw him on the highway ahead of me. There were virtually no other cars around, and I decided to get past him, I dropped a gear and flew by him waving to him. Didn't see him at all for a few minutes and wondered if he had turned off. All of a sudden. FLASH....he went by me like a thunderbolt, we got up to our exit and he was smiling from ear to ear and laughing.

Point is Boxster's are fun, but they aren't supercars.

I did race a Ferrari 308 GTSi once, and beat him, but to be fair, his car was over 20 years older than mine....Even then, I didn't beat him by much.

To the point of the OP, I ignore most of those people. To me, the worst are the Corvette folks. There are literally dozens of people in my area that have Corvettes, mostly C5's, C6's, and C7's. They see a Porsche and want to challenge them. I don't even bother. In a straight line drag race, a Boxster is going to lose to a Vette, unless it's an older C4 or something. On a track, it might be a different story.

Was coming back from cars/coffee a few weeks back, and saw a young guy pull up in a Dodge Viper SRT-GTSR w slicks on it. A Corvette C7 GS pulled up next to him and they started revving.....Why the Vette even bothered, I'll never know. The Viper smoked him so bad it was ridiculous. Predictable before it even happened.