View Single Post
Old 06-11-2017, 02:16 PM   #1
spinedoc

Interesting discussion this weekend....

So, had an interesting chat w a friend out East this weekend. He mentioned that he was at a car show this weekend, and one of the cars that won an award was a 1979 Porsche 930 Turbo.

The interesting thing is, according to the owner, the car has a branded title. It was a theft recovery and initially a salvage title, subsequently a "rebuilt" title. The guy bought it fairly cheap, and put a lot of work into it....

This started an interesting discussion. We all know that salvage titled cars are typically worth anywhere from 30-50% less than clean title cars. People often have a difficult time getting insurance coverage or loans, primarily because the value of the car is so difficult to assign.

I know, when I was younger, I bought a 944 Turbo that was a "rebuilt" car. Didn't have money at that time for a clean title car, and wanted something fun to wrench on, etc.

This however, begs the question, if a branded car is good enough to win awards at the car show, does that raise it's value, and then...by how much? Would a branded car w numerous awards be worth more than a clean title car? Lots of questions....

Just a fascinating discussion and thought I would ask people's opinions here. My 0.02 cents was that it would probably be worth more than most "branded" vehicles, but still not the same as a clean titled vehicle.