View Single Post
Old 06-10-2017, 12:07 AM   #7
RichRobby

Quote:
Originally Posted by geraintthomas View Post
Unfortunately I've just read the MOT guidelines and they say the surface of the bulb cannot be 50% covered.

BUT, it also states that the front 'positioning lamps' (sidelights) should just be two lamps, either side of the car, are forward facing, same height (no specific height), white in colour (blue tint is acceptable as long as it's predominantly white), and that's it. It states that DRL's aren't testable unless they are replacing the positioning lamps, in which case they must dim when the positioning lamps turn on, and extinguish when the headlamps turn on. But mine aren't running as DRL's as they don't activate with the ignition, they're just replacing the sidelights.

So these DRL's are white, same height, either side of the car that illuminate when the switch is turned to the positioning lamp indicator. That's all that's required of sidelights. The only thing they can't be is different height, a different colour other than white, or the surface covered 50% by an object.

So in your case, if you don't want to fit DRL's like I've done, you'll have to either make the front foglights the sidelights (and fit a dimmer LED H7 bulb), or replace the main beam bulb with a sidelight bulb and have the dipped beams come on when you flash (but you'd be flashing HID's, which could be bad?), or drill holes in the headlight. That's your only options!

I'm going to the garage on Monday to confirm all of this, but the information was from the 2017 MOT guidelines.
To update,
Just had the MOT yesterday and it passed with no advisories.
The partially covered sidelights didn't cause an issue (I was pleasantly surprised as I anticipated a fail).
As mentioned in this thread I had replaced the bulbs with the brightest LED bulbs that physically fit. There are brighter ones available but they won't fit, some are too long and hit the projector shroud and some are too fat to go in the hole.
All in all, a good result.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk
RichRobby is offline   Reply With Quote