View Single Post
Old 06-07-2017, 10:28 AM   #193
Joe toth

Here is the latest piece to my aero kit. It took a while with moving and a lot of orders this spring but finally managed to get my side intake scoop mold completed and making production pieces. Not having access or the funds to a wind tunnel with dyno I did a simple test to see if there was anything noticeable/measureable with the scoop. I drove the same stretch of highway in both directions 164 Km (82KM each way) once with the scoop on and then without the scoop. This was done late at night so the ambient air temperature would remain fairly constant. Cruise control was set at 115KPH to eliminate my right foot from the equation. I filled the tank three times at the same gas station about 200 yards off the freeway. The one variable is how different the fills might have been, I was careful in trying to keep them the same.
I used 1.2 liters less fuel for the 164Km drive with the scoop on. This translates to fuel mileage of 33.89mpg as opposed to 31.1mpg with no scoop. This is a 9% increase. My gas fills I’m sure were not bang on exact but certainly didn’t vary by 1.2 liters.
To my simple mind I conclude if the car is doing the same amount of work with less fuel it is making more power…..please correct me if you disagree.

There are more pictures on my Facebook page "Joe Toth Composites"

Joe toth is offline   Reply With Quote