View Single Post
Old 06-06-2017, 01:46 PM   #1
Oldcarguy

Water temp accuracy not so bad

Replaced bad themister on passenger (r) side cooling fan today. Fans now working properly at both low and high speeds (checked via Durametric). Decided to check dash gauge against my obdii app (didn't want to drive around with the computer in the car for Durametric) for coolent temp because I've read a lot about how inaccurate the dash gauge is.

Well, with the dash gauge perfectly centered on the 180F hash, ODB Fusion was reading 178F. Not so bad IMHO. Highest temp I could get the car to reach was 212F (with a 51F ambient temp) and the dash gauge was here:

The gauge did seem to be 'stuck' here for the 205-212F range, so there may be some step measurement going on above 200F. If the gauge is linear, the hash before 250 s/b 215F, so I should have been closer to it than I was.

Low speed fans were turning on at 212F and turning off at ~206F. Couldn't get it hot enough to kick in the high speed fans, but I expect them at around 217F.

So, YMMV, but my dash gauge is ok for me (for a dash gauge).
#317 550 Spyder Anniversary Edition 2004 Boxster S, 3.8L Flat Six Innovations engine, PSS9s, etc, etc . . .
The contents of my posts are for entertainment only. As confirmed by my many motor sports fails, I am not qualified to give product endorsements or mechanical advice

Last edited by Oldcarguy; 06-06-2017 at 01:56 PM.
Oldcarguy is offline   Reply With Quote