View Single Post
Old 06-02-2017, 09:09 PM   #1
bchcky

Debating Purchase 2000 Boxster S

Hello. I have been lurking for a little while, trying to soak up as much information as I can. I have read the "what to look for" and similar threads.

Currently, I'm looking at, and debating the purchase of: a 2000 Boxster S, black, gray interior, 66k miles, listed for $12.9k. This particular vehicle has NOT had the IMS issue, nor has it had any preventative measures taken to avoid it. Also, this is listed for sale by a Porsche dealer. For a 17 year old car, that makes me a little more comfortable, as I don't think a Porsche dealer would sell a Porsche that is just junk.

The dealer of course stated they could install the Porsche "fix" to the IMS, however, it runs about $3k. I'm sure there is some wiggle room on the list price, however, adding in the IMS fix would undoubtedly make it go up.

Curious what people's thoughts are?

The car is local to my father, he is going to be going to take a look at it, and will be taking it to his mechanic (for 25+ years) for a good once over. I will then be making a decision from there.

For any IMS cures etc, can someone recommend a reputable mechanic who specializes in this (other than a Porsche dealer) in New England, preferably Boston Metro area, Southern NH, or Southern ME?

TL;DR version: looking at 2000 S, 66k miles, $12.9k list at Porsche dealer, no IMS issues (yet), no IMS fix/maintenance done. Go for it? Stay away?
bchcky is offline   Reply With Quote