View Single Post
Old 05-28-2017, 06:47 PM   #11
Bfan

Garage
Since I last posted here, I have finished building the 3.8 bored engine and installed it in the car. As this is a big change in displacement neither the fuels system nor the engine management could copy with it. To increase the fuel pump capacity, I installed a bigger fuel pump from a 996 GT3 which is a direct fit into the Boxster fuel tank, along with bigger fuel injectors.
I also needed a new map for the ECU as the engine proved to big for the OM ECU to adjust to it. I ended up replacing the DME with a standalone DME from a local firm, to control fuel feed.
I also installed some extra electric salvage pumps to better salvage the heads to prepare the car for heavy track use. Also installed horizontal baffle deep sump and used OM plastic baffles with rubber doors, on top of the horizontal ones with improved fitment at the top of the baffles against the engine block.

New 3.8 liter engine installed

One of the extra electric salvage pumps, that I hope will help against the dreaded M96 engine oil starvation

Running in the engine on a mountain road is not the worst part of the whole project

There is no replacement for displacement

Last edited by Bfan; 05-29-2017 at 07:32 AM.
Bfan is offline   Reply With Quote