View Single Post
Old 05-13-2017, 05:48 PM   #19
pidj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldcarguy View Post
Hi Jgkram, Porsche lists the 2004 986s w/6 spd 0-60 at 5.5-5.7 seconds. A 6.8 sec 0-60 is more than a second slower. A second is a lot for 0-60. I'll check my 2004 986s with DashCmd when I feel like punishing it a little. Like it has been mentioned, the 986 is not really geared for this, so don't beat yourself up. Both of our other cars are consistently quicker than our 986s, and the Audi is basically point and shoot (the Explo is a challenge to launch well).

As a 0-60 comparison, our 2014 Audi s5 cab (a 4,100 lb car) with 7 spd DCS trans & launch control enabled consistently turns very low 5s and my 2015 Explorer Sport SUV with Livernois tune consistently turns mid 5s. On a particularly perfect run, the Explo turned a 5.09. The Explo weighs nearly 4,900 lbs. Definitely some technological advancements in the last decade so it's not only Civics we have to watch out for in the stoplight drags

Having said all this, 0-60 is not everything, not even an important aspect to some (me included in the context of my 986 ownership experience). The 986 will bury the Civic and my Explo on the top end and my Explo is just plain scary anywhere north of 90 mph anyway.

Anyway, here's the 5.09 run in the Explo. Some of the other info below seems whacked because I shutdown as soon as I had the 60 mph split and made the screen print after I came to a stop.

To my mind the advantage is in the handling. The Boxster will out corner a civic and definitely an Explorer