View Single Post
Old 05-03-2017, 11:26 AM   #12
Qmulus
inveniam viam aut faciam

I have seen it where someone with a damaged alarm/immo module swapped over the key, lock cylinder, alarm/immo module and DME with a set off of ebay instead of doing the right thing and just fixing or replacing the alarm/immo.

There are a few problems with doing that. First, the key does not match the rest of the car. Annoying, but workable IF you still have the door key. Second, and more importantly I might add, the data in the alarm/immo module and DME no longer matches the vehicle VIN. So, the dealer can no longer get you a key cut by VIN (Porsche keeps record of the key codes for the cars in their system), you cannot get the programming codes for the car from the dealer (BIG deal) as those codes are in the alarm/immo module and DME, and correcting the problem just got a LOT more expensive.

What you need to find out is if that key was original to the car, and if someone changed the door locks. I kind of doubt that. Hopefully you can just get the ignition tumblers and key matched to the rest of the car, and the electronics are original and all will be well with a new remote. My guess is more like the example I gave above... If that is the case, I am not sure how you will match a new key or remote transponder.

Last edited by Qmulus; 05-03-2017 at 06:46 PM. Reason: typos
Qmulus is offline   Reply With Quote