View Single Post
Old 05-02-2017, 06:42 PM   #1
MikeMcMo

Garage
Unlockable car, ignition key okay

Bought a 1999 Boxster base today, knowing the key situation was a bit iffy, but not exactly how iffy. Remote key access was not working- new battery? Nope: opened the key up and there are no guts to it at all, let alone a battery. There is no second key.

The key works in the ignition, but does not work in the door locks. The key goes in all the way, but does not turn either direction, and will not lock or unlock either door. The locks can be activated from the dashboard button, and if I lock them and then pull on the interior door handle, they unlock. So, I cannot lock the car at all right now. Called one Porsche dealer: I must prove ownership, prepay, order, wait, schedule appointment, etc.- new fob $220, new key $189, and I don’t know if that includes programming.

Called two locksmiths who said “You lost me at ‘Porsche’.” A mechanic friend said he *might* know a locksmith who could at least code a key to make the doors work, but he himself had some questions.

Anybody have some ideas for 1) making my locks work in the short term, and 2) avoiding dropping $900 at Porsche for two working keys with fobs.
MikeMcMo is offline   Reply With Quote