View Single Post
Old 04-30-2017, 03:18 AM   #26
Boxtaboy
07 Carrera S Cab

Garage
Cool to hear that the top goes down easier. I really never had any problems with the top going down though, and never had to adjust the glass. How did you guys remove the tabs without dropping the tab or the torx screw down below the top? With my luck, it falls down, and I won't be able to find it. LOL. The only thing I can think of that those tabs are for, are to help keep the top ribs from banging against each other when driving (up and down motion) or side to side movement when cornering. You guys that have removed them, please let us know if you end up seeing any metal to metal marks on the rib that has the tab removed or if the top seems like it has play when in the down position. I'm thinking the best solution is to remove the tabs and then cut off the part that sticks out (sanding it smooth), and then reinstalling.

EDIT: A good pal of mine, Maurice (1schoir) who is very knowledgeable about these tops has told me he'll look into it more and let me know, but he recalls that the tabs are there to prevent something from moving behind the rib. Maybe something might inadvertently be caught behind it, catch, and then block the top from going back up? Who knows. Keeping the tab there for now till there's a definitive answer on what those things are for. Can't be there for no reason (besides putting a hole thru the top).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fintro11 View Post
I tried the top manually without those two parts. The top went down way better without them so I reattached the rods. The top goes down way better but the glass still does not want to fold down properly all the time
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck W. View Post
Thanks for starting this thread Boxaboy. I have a 2003 top on my '01. My top looks pretty good and I would like to keep it that way. I just removed those two pieces. I keep the top down 99 per cent of the time. We'll see if not having them mounted causes any issues.

Previous: 01 Boxster in Arctic Silver, 86 944 in Guards Red

Last edited by Boxtaboy; 04-30-2017 at 06:14 AM.
Boxtaboy is offline   Reply With Quote