View Single Post
Old 04-27-2017, 08:23 AM   #5
jakeru

I've done this fix on my 2001 3-button key fob. It made the remote feature work reliably. Before I did it, the led light would flash reliably, but the actual remote unlocking wireless communication would not happen reliably.

So, this fix gave the perception of the remote getting a longer range, although I think it always had a healthy range, but just was unreliable intermittent in operation. (Therefore, for anyone who think their remote has shorter range than it should, ought to actually look into doing this solder reflowing fix!)

The key fob had worn out button switches, which required pressing hard to get them to work. (Car was sold and delivered to me by previous owner in this condition). The high force required to press the buttons may have damaged the solder joints. (I had tried replacing the button switches with new ones before I moved on to reflowing the solder joints.)

I have a second key fob that has a "lazy blinking LED" that still won't work wirelessly, even after replacing the buttons *and* reflowing the solder joints. When button is pressed, the led light flashes more slowly than on the key fob that works.