View Single Post
Old 07-27-2006, 05:08 PM   #16
MNBoxster

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmussatti
I think Jim is referring to the high spot in the center of the road, to allow for proper drainage.
Hi,

Exactly that. There is a fudge factor built into the OEM alignment specs to compensate.

Think about it - if your car were truly aligned for a flat road, then on a Highway or County/Rural Road, which are the most prevelant, and most heavily crowned to avoid standing water build-up, your Car would veer away from the centerline and you'd have to fight the wheel to keep the car in a straight line.

But, once that car is on a track, especially at high speed, you'll notice the opposite effect because the is no opposing force (no crown). This can be dialed out, but you will be off from OEM specs.

My Esprit and Formula Vee are Track aligned and primarily Track cars (not so much the Esprit, but I want it handling on the limit when I do track it and it's light so you don't really mind the mild pull on the Road). You can feel the difference, especially in a 30-50 lap race. The car has more grip, is more predictable and your arms don't get as tired. I would never do this to a road car because of the annoyance of the car pulling once you get on a road with a pronounced crown. Hope this helps...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote