View Single Post
Old 04-12-2017, 03:00 AM   #39
Timco
I am my own mechanic....

Quote:
Originally Posted by pidj View Post
Just to add to what is now becoming an anxiety inducing (to this new owner), frustrating thread, I made the mistake of visiting and reading Jake Raby's website. That's like a nervous flyer watching an air disaster movie whilst in flight. OMG. "Paper thin pistons", "it's going to happen ..."

I give up. Apparently I got taken for a ride to buy a car that has like a 90% M96 failure rate. The guy (Raby) sounds like he knows his stuff which is troubling since experts typically embrace balance ... but not him.

To copy an idea off of this thread: I'll drive it. I don't drive 'spirited' all the time (so that'll help shorten its life) but I'll enjoy what limited time I have with it until it becomes a really big paper weight.
Well, all experts have differing opinions and a different way of explaining them. Is it GOING to happen? Well, that's a stretch to say the least. I'm sure some have failed for other reasons. Paper thin? Sounds like a comparison and not an actual measurement. I'll bet Porsche had a reason but those terms made you worry, right? Advertising.

As a steam boiler expert, I'll say that any pressure vessel can explode. Any. Did I just convince you to buy an extra low water cut off or pressure kill switch? What if I say that 99.99% do not explode? Facts can be worded any way someone wants you to feel. It's called advertising. I don't like shock and worry the customer advertising personally, but at some point you need to be aware of the possibilities and other experiences.

Someday, you WILL die. I promise. Should you give up and stay indoors now, or chance it and go outside?
Timco is offline   Reply With Quote