View Single Post
Old 04-11-2017, 06:22 AM   #32
kk2002s

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pidj View Post
So why does it matter if there is metal present POST IMS change? When we detect metal, we swap the IMS (to alleviate the metal presence) - would more frequent oil changes and monitoring not clear the shavings? If not, then any metal presence would mean the engine is toast regardless of what was or is done, non?

It also begs the question about the $$ 'solution' option (oil pumped into bearing-less 'bearing')? Nedlands is right: What are you supposed to do? Doing it could be bad, not doing it is bad, metal shavings after doing it is bad .... bad bad bad.
If metal is present, it becomes a whole different ball game. Typically this would prevent a highly respected shop from performing the IMSB replacement without checking for damage and then cleaning the motor of debris if no damage found (Big time $$$). Otherwise this metal is flowing around and causing all kinds of destruction. That introduces another level of risk some can live with hoping that with many oil changes the majority of debris is removed.

Look I'm living with the risk. My 02 is in that higher risk range and I'm at 92k miles. My risk level is to wait until it's clutch time. I check filter & sump for metal but that only gives some level of comfort while not finding anything.

Last edited by kk2002s; 04-11-2017 at 06:28 AM.
kk2002s is offline   Reply With Quote