View Single Post
Old 04-08-2017, 11:13 AM   #3
bwdz

That is all because the fear mongers have made people paranoid about the IMS. There are many cars out there with 100-200k that have never had the IMS done. I would even bet that only a small percentage (less than 1 out of 5 cars) have had it replaced. I would simply answer that due to low mileage you were not going to address it till the clutch goes. You could always find someone near you with durametric and check the cam deviation values and if good you could cite that as the reason for not having done it. I maintain all my cars and I don't fix things that are not broken. As an example: last year I was doing the timing belt and tensioner on my Audi TT, the water pump is right there and everyone tells you that you have to replace it and they sell many kits that include it. Well, it ain't broken so I did not replace it and 15k miles later it is still perfect. If it fails it only takes about 2.5 hrs of my time to get back in there and do it so I am not sweating it. Same with my Boxster, 1997 with original IMS, might do it when I replace the original clutch that is still in it but only if the cam values are out of whack, if not and they start going out later then it doesn't take me very long to drop the trans and go back in there.
bwdz is offline   Reply With Quote