View Single Post
Old 04-07-2017, 08:38 PM   #16
BirdDog

I'm with Jakeru on this one.

Pickle forks will more often than not destroy the ball joint boots. Not a problem now because you are replacing the LCA (which will come with a new ball joint), but what if you were pulling the spindle to change a wheel bearing? You don't want to have to replace the LCA (they are expensive!) because you destroyed the boot or messed up the ball with your pickle fork.

Instead, get a ball joint separator tool like the one Jakaru suggested.

I use a Kent Moore (aka OTC) tool like this one:

I've had mine for years. If you buy a quality tool it will last you for the rest of your life.

It also works great on tie rod ends.

The forked side slides in where you put your pickle fork (between the knuckle and ball joint). The single side goes over the top and sits on top of the bolt. (so in the picture, the tool would be installed upside down with the tools bolt pointing down). Put a nice long 1/2" drive ratchet (or breaker bar) on it and slowly tighten until it POPS! Be sure your head is clear of the wheel well because when it pops you will jump (I promise!) LOL I've used my Kent-Moore tool to replace 2 of my Boxsters LCAs.

bwdz's method also works if you are good with a BFH. But when I've seen it done (by pros at alignment shops), they usually press a large steel block on the other side of the knuckle. One good shot to the side of the knuckle and the ball joint will pop out due to the taper on the ball joint bolt. Me, I'm not that brave when it comes to hitting my car with a BFH, so I use my Kent-Moore tool.

Last edited by BirdDog; 04-07-2017 at 08:41 PM.
BirdDog is offline   Reply With Quote