View Single Post
Old 04-02-2017, 07:08 AM   #5
Jamesp
Beginner

Garage
ParticleWave - Thank you very much for the diagram and explanation of the system. You clearly have a better understanding of the SAI system than I. I'd like to run my limited understanding of the system past you (and other knowledgeable members of the forum) so you can correct and add to the understanding of the system for myself and other forum members.

The SAI pump only runs if the engine is cold, and the ambient temperature is less than 70(?) degrees Fahrenheit. It only runs for about 90 seconds after engine start up in those circumstances. This is strictly for emission control.

The pump supplies air through the valve system in the diagram below (this diagram can change between model years) to engine bank one and bank 2. The air runs through passages in the heads directly to the exhaust manifolds. Bank 1 is on the right side of the engine viewed from the back of the car, and bank 2 is on the left.

The feedback system for the SAI is through the O2 sensors.

Another clue to the SAI fault in my car is that is faults out when the SAI should not be active. I reset the faults while the car is hot, and the ambient temperature is above 80 degrees F and the car still throws the SAI CEL.

What in the feedback loop would throw the CEL? Is is possible an O2 sensor is at the root of it?

I'd like to figure out how to use the Durametric to chase down the culprit instead of engaging in more carpet bombing with semi-random parts through frustration.