View Single Post
Old 04-01-2017, 10:43 AM   #502
BoxsterLS376

Hey man,

Yeah with this kind of modifications it will pretty much always be a "project car". To be honest mine dosen't really break much, aside from the water pump which was pretty frustrating, car is pretty damn solid. Just been doing oil changes and once I get motivated again i'll take care of the other small issues and the AC. So far so good~

Speaking of the water pump etc. yeah I certainly would not want to be responsible for anyone else stuff breaking. I have not come up with any solution other then not taking trips far from home, or getting a spare and keeping it with me in the car along with all the tools to fix it I've thought about getting a second pump as a backup so if there ever is an issue I could switch it on manually. I would think BMW pump may work as long as it delivers the same GPH or similar. Those motors are pretty high HP so I would think they do a good job.

Weather is starting to get warm down here so I may have to fix that AC sooner then I thought Should only be 2 wires but I've had so much going on lately just haven;t thought about it. I'm sure that first time crawling into the black seats after the Georgia sun has been beating down on them will motivate me!

Thanks!
J

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayley View Post
I've gotten a few people who ask me "how much" to do this to their car as well. As I'm sure you're well aware, things are ALWAYS breaking or need adjustment.

Can you imagine if you did a swap for somebody else and the water pump died on THEM, and in turn smoked their ~$ 10K crate engine? Your name would be dragged all across the internet coals as the guy responsible for the failure. I can empathize 100% with your feeling of not wanting to do this for anyone else.

Speaking of water pumps, have you come up with any alternative solutions? I too have concerns about an electric water pump running at 100% duty cycle. Mine hasn't failed yet (knock on wood), but I figure it's only a matter of time.

I'm giving serious consideration into swapping a modern BMW electric water pump. The parts are actually engineered and tested to a standard, compared to the 3 second "It works, ship it!" validation testing performed on aftermarket components. Of course, I'd have to engineer a CAN bus gateway to set the speed, or otherwise run it in fail-safe mode... which is likely 100%.

I also played around with the idea of running a marine style sea-water pump. Of course, I would have to put this in place of the AC compressor and you just mentioned that you are trying to keep the AC. Originally, I assumed that I would want to keep the AC but there wasn't a single time last summer where I heard myself saying: "Maaan, I really wish I had that AC hooked up..."

Thanks for the updates, hopefully I'll see you on the road somewhere this summer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcdrechsel View Post
Boxsterls376-question ..........I am wrapping up a ls1 in a 1999 996 build .One loose end interfacing the vehicle speed signal to the gm ecu .How did you do it ?
By the way thanks for taking the time to document your build .Both the build and the documentation are outstanding
Dave
Greetings young Padawan Glad my build thread could help! Clearly you need to go back through and read it again because I have already gone over that.
Thanks
J

JUST KIDDING!

No big deal there and actually I dreamed it up in my head and then found that someone had already built what I needed! Check out TACH-ADAPT

I think it's like $80 and will make your life a lot easier! Good luck with the project, got any pictures or posts about it?
Thanks
J
BoxsterLS376 is offline   Reply With Quote