View Single Post
Old 03-26-2017, 03:53 PM   #2
rastta

First off - let me say I want a GT4 SO badly.

Ultimately it depends on what you want to get out of going to track days. If you want to go a couple times a year and have fun doing it - well the fact you can buy a car that allows you to do that with little experience can be a good thing.

However - if you want to use HPDE's to become a better driver and move into more advanced groups, well they are going to be a hinderance in the long run.

I started doing track days with the Audi Club 10 years ago. All beginners have to go through class instruction as well as doing in car exercises. At that time I was instructed to turn off ESP in my pretty highly modified TT. When doing the slalom, I had forgot to turn off ESP for the first two or so runs and had picked up speed pretty well. Then I turned off ESP and went out and proceeded to fish tail through the entire course. Sure taught me about electronic intervention. I did all my track sessions with ESP OFF. We don't allow beginners to turn them off on track now. We allow them to do it in the exercises. However - intermediate or advanced drivers can turn them off but only after discussing it with their instructor. Now we have to contend with the auto-braking features and other electronic sensors which take over driving the car for you. They pose an even greater probem on track.

Personally - I think it's important as an instructor to discuss stuff like this with your student so they can get an understanding of what they are doing and what the car is doing as well as what their long term goals are on track.

Oh and did I mention how badly I want a GT4?
rastta is offline   Reply With Quote