View Single Post
Old 03-17-2017, 05:46 AM   #1
jrgill

Garage
Base or S model? Feedback Requested...

Hello all,

I've been interested in purchasing a 986 for a while now and have been doing my homework on cost of ownership, known issues and their associated costs to resolve, need to perform and record regular maintenance, driving experience, etc. Given all of this information, I'm looking to purchase a manual transmission 2003 - 2004 model year with options like litronic headlights, cruise control, and heated seats. The problem is, I've found an earlier base model 986 in great shape, with many of the known issue conditions recently completed (LN Engineering IMS, AOS) and new clutch and tires. The price is appropriate for the model and year and will get me into a 986 that can be driven right away with maybe just a few non-necessary things that I'd like to do.

Within my other cars, I have the options mentioned in the S model above. So not having them in a vehicle I plan to drive to work only sometimes, but mostly on weekends in good weather may not be necessary. So my question is, is there that much of a difference with the driving experience of a 986S and the upgrades associated with this model (more HP, suspension, brakes, etc.) to not purchase the base model with good maintenance record and replacement of key components?

Thanks
Joe
jrgill is offline   Reply With Quote