View Single Post
Old 03-15-2017, 12:41 PM   #20
PaulE

Why Why Why???

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikefocke View Post
JFP if the low temp thermostat is so good, why would Porsche have specified a higher temp one? Was it based on predicted use patterns for the "not a race car" Boxster as opposed to the GT cars where racing was predicted? How does the low temp affect emissions? Is there any dumping of more unburned gas (think choke here) into the cats as the "choke" system stays on longer?
You guys are way more informed than me and I appreciate all the good stuff I learn here. I love my Boxster but can no longer wonder why Porsche makes some or the choices they do like -
  • use a sealed, greased, ball bearing on the IMS which is submerged in the sump. The use of a common casting for both cylinder heads required the IMS, but at what point did someone say, "Hey, how should we put a bearing on this end of the IMS?"
  • use a grade of plastic on internal headlight lenses that will turn dark with burn marks even if you only ever use stock halogen light bulbs.
  • use soft-touch black paint on interior trim panels that turns sticky with age.
  • design and specify a water pump that should be replaced at intervals to prevent engine damage from broken impeller bits migrating to cylinder heads and causing hotspots.

Signed, glad I don't own a GT2, GT 3 or Turbo requiring me to have my cooling system fitting welded to my engine block!
PaulE is offline   Reply With Quote