Thread: EBC brake pads
View Single Post
Old 03-13-2017, 10:56 AM   #7
steved0x

I used to use EBC Red on the track, it worked well for me and matched up well with the Hankook R-S3 tires I run. On the track I got plenty of dust but less so on the street.

Looking back at my records I ran these pads from October 2014 through November 2016. In that time I ran 1 set of backs and 2 sets of fronts.
  • 1st front set lasted 7500 miles with 8 track days. 3 of the fronts pads were still ok but one was getting pretty thin. I had read somewhere that you could/should swap brake pads around to even the wear. I did this and I think it accelerated my wear. Maybe I did it wrong but I ended up with one that was really thin compared to the other 3 so I had to replace.
  • 2nd front set lasted 5972 miles with 11 track days, and I got the last few days by swapping around the fronts with the 3 good fronts I had from before and using the best 4 pads.
  • Rear set 13472 miles and 19 track days and still had some life left in them.

Jay has it right - the EBC Red is a trackable street pad. They performed well for me, but are not super long lived under those circumstances.

I considered going to EBC yellow but at the last event I drove with the Reds, I was hanging out with one of my early instructors who has an F class Boxster S and he took me out in his car and I really liked the way his brakes felt, and he was using the Carbotech XP8/10 combo so I went with that. The Carbotechs were really noisy on the street until my first track day with them - since then thy have settled down "some". In my opinion they are a little too powerful to be matched with the Hankook R-S3, it is quite easy to get into ABS. They are well matched with a tire like the Nitto NT-01, tremendous braking power and control, easy to modulate, harder to get into the ABS.
steved0x is offline   Reply With Quote