View Single Post
Old 03-10-2017, 06:34 AM   #17
Myoung73

Quote:
Originally Posted by itskenallen View Post
This is my concern, one which nobody seems to address... I dont think it's a sealy as a head unit swap with the MOST system. You are probably looking at an amplifier swap too.

Can anyone with a 2001-2004 S conform if it's a straight head unit swap?
If so, I have a very good Parrot asteroid head unit with phone kit/microphone that I took out of my previous car that I could use.

Sent from my SM-G928F using Tapatalk
For 2001 and 2002 I believe it is a straight swap, very easy and harnesses relatively easy to find to mate with the factory HU. And you can still use the factory amp if you want.

MOST systems are only in 2003 and 2004 986 cars. CDR-23 is in the HU in 2003, not sure on the 2004 (think it might be the same). If you have an amplifier in a MOST car (either the HiFi option, or Bose) - you will also have door "speakers" (actually subs), it is absolutely not a straight swap. If you don't have an amp at all, it is easier since the speaker wires are connected directly to the HU. The HU, amp and cd changer (if you have one) are all connected fiber-optically by the most bus. No aftermarket stuff is compatible. To replace the HU, you would either need to bypass the amp altogether (which requires running the speaker wires to the HU from the frunk where the amp is and thus the current speaker wires), or replace the amp with the HU which still requires running wires from the new HU to the new AMP, since the factory wiring does not have all of the necessary wires to connect a new HU to an AMP. It's also hard to find harness adapter kits that are plug and play to the factory HU and amp harnesses (it's been impossible for me so far). There is a company (cai-store.com) that can get you part of the way there, but there would still be some additional work.

That said, it's not THAT big a deal to replace the HU and amp, just requires some wiring and running wires between HU and frunk (where you would presumably place the new amp). Been done many times before, if you search you should be able to find quite a bit of info.