View Single Post
Old 03-09-2017, 02:53 PM   #7
Oldcarguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timco View Post
Took Box to 15 min emissions and inspections place.

They tell me neither machine will communicate with the car so no emissions. Have to go somewhere else but issue is with car.

My BT OBDII reader connects fine. Anyone else have this??
Hi Timco, the issue is most likely not with your car. This is no laughing matter, at least not in NYS. Annual registration renewal is tied by state computer to state computer emissions inspection renewal. No comm between car and state system for state emissions inspection = no annual registration renewal = car not legal to drive in NYS.

I just now had exactly the same problem with my 2004 986 550 anniversary. Local inspection station printout said car OBD II local comm was ok, but car could not communicate correctly with NYS central emissions computer system. Called Porsche Albany, they have a Panamera right now with same problem. It's a problem with the state systems, but the state refuses to acknowledge it. Porsche recommended taking my 2004 to a different NYS inspection station, preferably a dealer with well maintained state equipment. Took my 2004 to Oneonta Audi (who maintains our s5 cab) and it communicated with the NYS system with no problems. Passed no problem. Oneonta Audi was surprised, said the state equipment was sealed under state control and that all inspection stations were supposed to have the same equipment. Albany Porsche was not surprised. They said the state equipment is a cr@p shoot. My original local inspection station said they had this problem only once before with a Toyota and had to call the state and do a 'forced emissions test', whatever that means.

Bottom line, try another inspection station well apart from the original station. Lots of variables here (including POP internet connection for the inspection station), so it really is a cr@p shoot. There is absolutely nothing wrong with the OBD connection in my (or probably your) car. It is the state's problem, but they refuse to acknowledge it and you can end up with a car with a revoked registration and lic plate.
#317 550 Spyder Anniversary Edition 2004 Boxster S, 3.8L Flat Six Innovations engine, PSS9s, etc, etc . . .
The contents of my posts are for entertainment only. As confirmed by my many motor sports fails, I am not qualified to give product endorsements or mechanical advice

Last edited by Oldcarguy; 03-09-2017 at 03:33 PM.
Oldcarguy is offline   Reply With Quote