View Single Post
Old 03-08-2017, 03:28 PM   #5
spreewerk

Thanks for the insight. You do raise a good point, my 996 budget would be around 15-17k which would not exactly land a low mileage garage queen. Maintenance costs would not be an issue however.

Looks like a nice E24 you've got, I had an '85 635 5spd about ten years ago and it was a terrific car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedTele58 View Post
I own several 986 and 986S Boxsters and a 996 C4. If I had to get rid of everything but one, I'd keep one of my '99 986 cars.

The C4 is fun. And faster. And maybe cooler looking, but it's bigger and heavier than a Boxster, so you're comparing apples and oranges. You have a Boxster that needs nothing. To get the average 996 to where it needs nothing will probably set you back another $3-5k after you buy it.

The one thing I don't understand about some of my fellow 996 C4 owners is the thought that these cars are snowmobiles. The variable all wheel drive is more to help performance and take some of the traditional "tail happiness" out of a rear engine car. I don't think it was particularly designed to push snow around.

If you need a winter car, get the 540i and keep the Boxster.

But you're talking to the guy that looks for every excuse to add another car to the fleet. Just my 2 cents worth...
spreewerk is offline   Reply With Quote