View Single Post
Old 03-05-2017, 02:26 PM   #17
bwdz

I am the opposite and never buy a used car from a dealer, the reason is that they didn't own it and know nothing about it and are charging a premium (large or small) over what I could easily buy it for somewhere else. The dealer has no more idea of what the car's actual history is than anyone else who can run a Carfax or similar. They either take the car on trade in or purchase it at an auction where someone was dumping it with potential issues and then get it ready for sale which sometimes includes a pretty thorough check over of the car. The bad part about a car that the dealer repaired is they add the retail cost of the repair to their purchase price and then mark it up on top of that causing the high prices you normally see. I like to fix my own cars so I always go for the deal and negotiate based on problems that I find that I can fix for pennies on the dollar for the discount I get off the price. Just ask me how I bought a 97 with 64 k on it and spend less than 2 hours fixing it for less than $1500.
bwdz is offline   Reply With Quote