View Single Post
Old 03-03-2017, 09:27 PM   #10
jakeru

LOVED IT, and all seems pretty realistic and all, but... was it just me a or, is it still a bit hard to take too seriously that all of the concepts discussed throughout the entire video were only demonstrated or "proven" by the mere repeated playing of a video game?

There was NO part in the video where any of the simulation-based findings were actually proven by the driving of a real car through a real corner.

Yes, he said "often people who drive for WEEKS in a simulator apply the findings in real life and find their performance is better", but that statement was totally just floated out there, and far from being proven. If someone spent weeks in real driving time, would their actual performance not be even better than weeks in a simulator?

Certainly, seat time in a simulator would be much cheaper than real seat time in a real racing scenario.

Despite the heavy reliance on "simulator-proven" theories, I do still have a strong feeling these all may be true/well-founded, so they still do make for some very interesting food for thought. (I just have a bit of a tough time getting past that there was no *real* driving throughout the entire video!)

Is this what the world of racing is coming to? (No need to race "real" cars anymore. Just fired up the central processing unit and simulated race-car user input devices; it's the same!)

Last edited by jakeru; 03-03-2017 at 09:41 PM.
jakeru is offline   Reply With Quote