View Single Post
Old 03-01-2017, 10:36 AM   #3
BirdDog

The driver side lighted mirror cover was broken when I bought my 2001 S. The part of the cover that locked into the left pivot post had broken. I think that's a common problem. Luckily, both pivot posts were still intact.

After getting prices for both lighted (over $100) and non-lighted ($36) replacement mirror assemblies (you can't buy just the cover), I decided to buy a non-lighted mirror assembly and gamble that the cover was the same as the lighted one. It was.

After trying to pry the new cover off of the new (non-illuminated) mirror assembly, I gave up and used a razor blade to cut one of the pivot posts and removed the flap. I then placed one end of the new cover over one of the pivots on the original mirror assembly, and then pushed the other end of the cover straight down over the other pivot post. The pivot posts have a slanted cut to them that makes installation easy but removal a lot harder. Best done with the cover at 90 degrees to the visor (ie, on edge) so that the middle of the cover doesn't come in contact with the micro switch for the light, which is located about midway down the cover.

If your cover has been broken for a while there's a good chance that the bulb for the mirror has long since burned out because no cover is equal to an open cover (ie, light on).

The new cover may have a different GLARING warning sticker than the original cover, so if you only change one your driver and passenger sides won't look the same.

I removed the stickers as best I could from both visors with 90% rubbing alcohol, then gave the visors a coat of Duplicolor black vinyl/fabric/carpet paint. They now look absolutely brand new with no trace of the ugly warning stickers.

Hope this helps someone else!

Bill