View Single Post
Old 03-01-2017, 06:42 AM   #3
Cbonilla

Garage
Can't comment on the price to replace the struts, but I would put strut replacement in a totally different difficulty class from doing the brakes. Brakes take me a couple of hours for each end of the car, working in my driveway with no lift. Much of that time is spent jacking up the car.

Was this $1,000 price just for the front end? (they are the first to wear given the amount of braking done by the front tires.) Did you trip a brake wear sensor? Take a look at replacement pads and you'll be astounded by the amount of material left after the light comes on. It's definitly not a "service or die" indication. I've gone a couple of months with the light illuminated, though this of course depends on how much driving you do. If the wear light hasn't come on yet, why is he pushing a brake job? That's what the sensor is for.

I've always done my brakes myself. It's almost idiot proof. Last time I did it the parts cost me ~$300-350 from Pelican for the front end. New pads, rotors, shims, wear sensors (I always replace them as they either get mangled in the removal or have tripped the brake wear light) and caliper bolts. Usually I spend much less that. I don't replace the calipers every time. (I remember a dealer telling me that they "always change the rotors with every brake job.") And while they were worn admittedly below specs, I got 100,000 miles out of my front rotors with no problem. Gasp! The horror! This is a street car, never tracked. YMMV

I'll do the rears on the next change. And I only do an alignmnet if I notice unusual tire wear. The pins on the fronts were a little corroded so I'll replace all 8 of them the next time the brakes are addressed.

The only problem I've ever had is last time the wheels wouldn't come free from the hubs. Couldn't bang them loose. A buddy suggested loosening the lug bolts a bit and driving it in a circle to free them which did the trick. Reinstalled them with a light coat of antiseize after lightly cleaning the surfaces with a wire brush.

Any number of guides out there, so if $ is a concern this can go a ways toward the cost of a strut change. Don't forget to have the brake fluid flushed occassionaly. I think Porsche recomends every two years -- the ABS pump can be pricey to replace I hear.

2003 986 S, tiptronic

Last edited by Cbonilla; 03-01-2017 at 06:55 AM.
Cbonilla is offline   Reply With Quote