View Single Post
Old 02-23-2017, 05:08 PM   #8
Bfan

Garage
Here are some pictures from my 3.8 build that I just started on. First I did some work on the heads. They are intended for 3.4 engine by Porsche and obviously need to flow somewhat better to count for the bigger bore. So I did some mild porting or rather "flow optimizing" on them. The head in the picture is indeed from 3.4 engine I got these as substitutes after the heads from my 3.2 engine got a "bang" when the piston broke last summer. The only difference between these and the OM Boxster S 3.2 heads is that these are drilled in different pattern for the intake manifold. This enables me to run the somewhat bigger manifold from a 3.4 996 on my build.
I once ran manifold from 997 3.8 on my old now broken 3.6 engine but it was really tight fit in the engine bay. Not only was it to hitting the hatch at the top, it was also to wide and I had to move the engine a few mm back and down to make it fit, which I did not like at all and went back to the OM 3.2 manifold after a while. So this time around I am going with 3.4 manifold that somehow fell into my lap. I must admit it is tempting to go back to the 3.8 manifold but I would have to find a way to make the engine bay bigger....

Before.....

After "flow optimizing"

After .....

Yours truly at work....

The engine is built around Boxster 3.2 block that was sent to LN engineering for some Nickies and 101 mm JE pistons. I am using Carrillo rods and all ARP bolts this time around. The ARP bolts are needed for the rods and crank carrier, but not really for the head studs, but as this engine is destined for the track, it is likely that it will need a rebuild sooner or later and then the ARP bolts can be reused while the OM Porsche bolts have to be renewed each time they are torqed.

Alweys fun to get packets

All cleaned and ready for assembly

Not much space for cooling water jacket, in these big bores

A shame these beautiful pistons will be hidden inside the engine

There is no replacement for displacement

Last edited by Bfan; 08-28-2017 at 06:02 PM.
Bfan is offline   Reply With Quote