View Single Post
Old 02-21-2017, 01:23 AM   #119
Nine8Six

Quote:
Originally Posted by rs10 View Post
And Nine8Six, thanks again for the very cool thread!
No worries for the silence and hope you and your second-half get better soon. Apologies for forcing an introduction from you btw (forum rules, not mine!). So welcome to 986forum bud, great place and great people as you've already noticed I'm sure!

You are welcome for those 'genreric' air flow visuals! I plan on doing the 996 but will post using my RL account under the same alias. I'll shoot you a PM to let you know where to find those. As for messing-up with aero; I think it is fair to say that Porsche have carried out this work and have designed the car to safety limits already Any modification can be costly if not validated indeed. So best to stick to what the pro (Porsche) recommends loll

E.g. in another coupled-CFD-vs-structural analisys that I've carried, i.e. by exporting node-to-node pressure/force from one mesh to another, I was able to carry a static (down)force analisys using the nastran SOL101 solver for each independent wheels (using a pressure plate/sensor under each wheel). This is how I've noticed that my rear-end was in-fact lifting at speed greater than 80km. Ran this at different velocity increments to then acknowledge that 120km/h is pretty much the 'safety limit' for my current set-up. Go Go eBay.com!!!

Additionally, and to make my simulation even more complex (bringing it to its knees) I've ran the same CFD but using shifting winds by offsetting the car in an angular X/Y position (15degree) to get a whole new set of data fields. Once ran transient I've noticed force/damping waves in the plots. The bounce was quite pronounced in the X plane (left/right dancing) but nearly invisible in the Z (up/down). Can't imagine what it would feel like cornering my car at 160km/h at my International circuit here (some fast corners on our SIC). Hope the software engineeres of the package I'm using got it all wrong LOL

Fascinating model/solvers; all part of the training that I have to go through. Once we've done enough and graduated this course, and clearly understand the limitiations of the package we have here, we'll start to offer this as a corporate PLM service.

I'd be pleased to help other automotive artists/designers and get "validation" carried out for their concepts. I do have access to pretty much any of the Porsche car's 'solid' models from a 3rd party source, and/or can easily reverse-engineer their design for that matter.

Lift & drag, independantly set down-force points, air-flow, compressed air sources, validating structural fatigue on mounts (e.g wing brakets, mounting points, etc). Just to name a few... We are now geared up to carry those analisys if needed