View Single Post
Old 02-18-2017, 11:22 AM   #4
geraintthomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichRobby View Post
If I split my lights again I would dremmel off part of the projector shrouds to allow the longer sidelight bulb and make it more visible. A bulb with a lens on it would then be fine I think. Seems the current clearance is about 38mm and the bulb I bought was 45mm long. Ordered the 15w which is 28mm so will see how that is when it arrives.

Sent from my ONE A2003 using Tapatalk
Unfortunately I've just read the MOT guidelines and they say the surface of the bulb cannot be 50% covered.

BUT, it also states that the front 'positioning lamps' (sidelights) should just be two lamps, either side of the car, are forward facing, same height (no specific height), white in colour (blue tint is acceptable as long as it's predominantly white), and that's it. It states that DRL's aren't testable unless they are replacing the positioning lamps, in which case they must dim when the positioning lamps turn on, and extinguish when the headlamps turn on. But mine aren't running as DRL's as they don't activate with the ignition, they're just replacing the sidelights.

So these DRL's are white, same height, either side of the car that illuminate when the switch is turned to the positioning lamp indicator. That's all that's required of sidelights. The only thing they can't be is different height, a different colour other than white, or the surface covered 50% by an object.

So in your case, if you don't want to fit DRL's like I've done, you'll have to either make the front foglights the sidelights (and fit a dimmer LED H7 bulb), or replace the main beam bulb with a sidelight bulb and have the dipped beams come on when you flash (but you'd be flashing HID's, which could be bad?), or drill holes in the headlight. That's your only options!

I'm going to the garage on Monday to confirm all of this, but the information was from the 2017 MOT guidelines.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichRobby View Post
Those wheels look superb .
Makes me think I should paint the side vents, radiator vents black and do the wheels like you suggest on my speed yellow boxster. Not sure I should do it to the oem 5 spoke wheels though, what do you think?

Sent from my ONE A2003 using Tapatalk
Are they 17" turbo 5-spokes, 18" turbo 5-spokes, or 18" carrera 5-spokes?

Bi-xenon Headlight Upgrade | 987 S 18" Anthracite Alloys | Android Head Unit | 5000k 55w HID's | 5000k Cree DRL's | 5000k Cree number plate lights | Cree LED Indicators | One-touch roof operation | Bypass exhaust pipes | Parking sensors | Ambient footwell lighting

Last edited by geraintthomas; 02-18-2017 at 11:25 AM.
geraintthomas is offline   Reply With Quote