Thread: I got nailed
View Single Post
Old 07-21-2006, 09:19 AM   #52
Grizzly

[QUOTE=eslai]It's obvious that we aren't going to convince each other either way. Many of you guys amaze me with your hard-headedness about "do the crime do the time" as if the police are all angels and we're all criminals because we drive five miles over the speed limit and we deserve to be writing petty checks out to the government for this Oh My God Crime. I don't know what fantasy world everyone here lives in where everyone drives the speed limit all the time and every ticket is well-deserved, but remind me not to visit it if I ever start getting the urge.

I have bad news for you eslai. If you are driving at 5 miles an hour over the speed limit, you are technically a criminal because you have committed a misdemeanor crime.

Let's look at another minor misdemeanor crime through your eyes. Assault. Using your logic, if a guy kicked your ass...didn't necessarily hospitalize you but just pounded a few minor dents into your head, he wouldn't necessarily be guilty of assault because such a minor violation of the misdemeanor of assault shouldn't be taken so damned seriously and the cops should be spending their time chasing real bad guys.

If they DID get some automated system in place that started ticketing the entire population for speeding, I would probably drive slower, as I usually am going at the speed of traffic.

Seems to me that's what they're trying to accomplish. I think you just made our argument. The nice thing about these traffic devices is that they get everybody. A Police Officer is like a fisherman. He throws his line in the water and only catches as many as he can catch. These speed devices and red light cameras, however, catch 'em all, making them a much more powerful deterrent.

Like Brucelee said, sort of. If these devices concentrate on speed and red lights, the Police are then free to chase the aggressive drivers and other violators who make it even more dangerous for us than it already is.

Last edited by Grizzly; 07-21-2006 at 09:36 AM.