Thread: I got nailed
View Single Post
Old 07-21-2006, 04:37 AM   #46
z12358

Here are my two cents. OK, maybe four...

I feel that I agree with all sides in this discussion. Laws, once they're made, need to be obeyed and penalties should be imposed for the ones breaking them.

However, I do question the effectiveness of the present speed-limit laws in achieving our ultimate goal of safer and more efficient road travel for all -- especially when SPEED only is considered as the largest risk factor. Half of my driving I've made in Europe and half of it in the States and in my opinion the single most dangerous behavior I've observed on the roads here is -- SLOW DRIVERS IN THE LEFT LANE (SDLL). I don't know what the laws are on this subject but I firmly believe that if the police concentrated more in weeding out and ticketing this behavior (instead of speeding) we would all get much more safety bang for our tax-dollars.

Have you noticed how traffic in the States always goes in clusters, or herds? There's a cluster, then a stretch of free road and then another cluster down the road. This pattern is caused by SDLL. Consider the rule:
"If there's space in the lane to your right and the cars in that lane are driving at your current speed or faster, do switch to that lane and give the opportunity for the drivers piled up behind you to pass." I believe that enforcing this simple rule can do magic to the nationwide accident statistics.

Some here have complained about the drivers weaving in traffic. I believe that 90% of this behavior is caused by SDLL. If you've ever driven in Germany you will know what I mean. Nobody weaves there because there simply is no need for it. And the clusters of traffic are gone too thus improving safety for all.

Just some of my thoughts.
z12358

Last edited by z12358; 07-21-2006 at 04:39 AM.