View Single Post
Old 02-10-2017, 10:02 AM   #346
geraintthomas

As promised, more photos.

I've decided to remove all of the alcantara in the car. It faded blue and the edges started to curl, so I've removed it all. The only parts I need to re-buy are the a-pillars, so I'll pick some up off ebay soon.

Looks better though:

And so does the radio with the new fascia!

It's a gorgeous fit, and looks a lot nicer without the alcantara too. There's a gap at the bottom but it's not obvious at all.

The cage had to be screwed inside, and the radio was quite hard to get inside. It's such a bodgey job behind the radio with the wiring and the fitment, but it's sturdy and works a charm. I'll have no need to remove it anytime soon.

All in all it's cost me £270. £190 for the radio, £30 for the climate control relocation fascia, £30 for the double din cage fitting kit, £10 for the Xtrons bezel and £10 for the radio adapter. Like I've said, none of it was a simple plug and play.****

A little bit about what was done:

Installation:

- Purchased the Xtrons radio and above fitting kits
- Removed radio surround
- Dremeled the surround inner area to allow the double din radio to fit
- Screwed the double din cage into the sides of the radio surround
- Connected the 12v wire from the new radio loom to the 12v wire in the black connector on the original radio loom using thin spade connectors
- Connected a ground wire from the new radio loom to the ground wire in the black connector on the original radio loom using thin spade connectors
- Fed a 12v accessories switched feed from fuse E1 to the radio's switched 12v feed as the original loom doesn't have one (the CDR23 never needed one)
- Connected the front left positive & negative, and the front right positive & negative speaker wires from the new radio****loom to the correct wires in the brown connector on the original radio loom using spade connectors.
- Fed a wire from the grey/blue wire in the instrument cluster to the new radio loom's illumination wire, so the radio recognises the lights
- Screwed in the attachment plates to the side of the radio
- Connected the external GPS at the****back
- Slid the radio into place
- Attached the bezel
- TO DO: Buy an adapter for the radio wire

Setup:

- Designed and applied custom boot logo
- Designed and applied custom wallpaper to show Porsche logo in the upper left
- Installed Google Maps
- Installed Spotify
- Installed SoundCloud
- Installed Gmail
- Installed Torque
- Downloaded 'Icon Changer Free' to replace and rename the Torque app with a Porsche icon
- Enabled Torque to start straight into the dashboards when the app is launched, bypassing the Torque home page
- Customised the dashboards to show relevant information, and customised the look and feel to a more Porsche branded look (including a logo)
- Auto connects to phone's mobile WiFi hotspot

Tadaaaah! It's taken a while, but by god it looks good.

Bi-xenon Headlight Upgrade | 987 S 18" Anthracite Alloys | Android Head Unit | 5000k 55w HID's | 5000k Cree DRL's | 5000k Cree number plate lights | Cree LED Indicators | One-touch roof operation | Bypass exhaust pipes | Parking sensors | Ambient footwell lighting
geraintthomas is offline   Reply With Quote