View Single Post
Old 02-09-2017, 02:21 AM   #6
husker boxster

I haven't watched closely, but the only two issues I've heard about are: 1) carbon build-up in DFI cars (only 987.2S models are DFI) and 2) some PDK failures. Over on Planet-9 I saw a thread title about a "cure" recently being announced for carbon build-up other than having an expensive cleansing. And not sure how prevalent the PDK failures are, but I've heard Porsche handles them like IMS from the mid-2000s, ie, don't tear it apart and fix the problem, instead replace it with a new one. It's also my understanding a special tool is required to align the installation of a PDK and this tool is uber expensive so most Indies don't have it. So if a $5 part fails you have to take it to Porsche and they're answer is a new trans.

As stated above, I have not followed these issues closely and I am not trying to be a fear-mongerer. I just want to point you in a direction so you can do your own research. Planet-9 has a 987 chat section that is filled with lots of info. Just realize no car is perfect and if you research long enough, you can talk yourself out of buying any car. Since the car you're looking at is the first year for DFI and PDK, it might have the 1st yr curse and will probably have the most miles of the 987.2 crowd, exposing any design flaws.

However, a 987.2 will always hold its value because it is considered to have fixed all the issues with the 987.1 PLUS the scarcity of 987.2s because of the recession. If you buy it and don't like it, you'll have no trouble selling it.
2008 Boxster S Limited Edition #005
2008 Cayman S Sport - Signal Green
1989 928 S4 5 spd - black
1987 928 S4 - Granite Green Metallic (Felsengrun)

Last edited by husker boxster; 02-09-2017 at 02:26 AM.
husker boxster is offline   Reply With Quote