Thread: I got nailed
View Single Post
Old 07-20-2006, 07:58 AM   #19
MNBoxster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucelee
But, hey the guy admitted he was speeding and the technology actually functioned correctly.

I guess I am not really seeing the distinction here. If I am really breaking the law, how much credence do you put in my complaint about HOW I got caught?

Perhaps we should just admit we don't like it when we get caught?
Bruce,

I hear what you're saying, but the erosion of Personal Privacy and Liberties is very subtle and ALWAYS in the name of a Good Cause, even in Nazi Germany the proposed segregation of the Jews and loss of rights to unwarranted searches and such were for the Good of the State.

The Good of the State must be considered, but Politicians always use these causes to further control over the Population. The Homeland Security Act, for example, may seem necessary right now, I do not dispute this. But, if so, why not place a Sundown Clause on it's use so it may be removed once the threat is passed? Keep reassessing the situation and renew as the People deem necessary.

But, as the Act is defined right now, you can be held incomunicado for a great length of time without being charged or given access to cousel just because some buraucrat deems you a threat. Your home can be searched without acquiring or presenting you with a warrant - this is all very bad. No one cares until it happens to them or someone they know.

I read a shocking Harvard Study which stated that the average American now spends over 6 Hrs. cumulatively each day on a Security Camera. Whether shopping in the Mall, going to the ATM, the Supermarket, the workplace, or just driving past Traffic Control Cameras on the Freeway. That's too much! My house is in the frame of the security cameras of a Federal Facility - Lock & Dam #1 on the Mississippi River. I have seen the tapes and there's my house in the background 24/7 for anyone to see and possibly use against me.

In many cases, such evidence is Public Information (as are Traffic Citations) subject to supeona or the Freedom of Information Act, or access hasn't been tested in the courts or defined. Suppose a Divorce Lawyer were to supeona tapes showing you and your Mistress in the Mall at a restaurant or your Boss uses tapes of you joyriding on a day you called in sick to terminate you? Or, your Insurance Co. uses them to hike your rates? The potential for misuse or greater incursion into one's liberties is just too great...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99

Last edited by MNBoxster; 07-20-2006 at 08:09 AM.