View Single Post
Old 01-31-2017, 01:52 PM   #8
BirdDog

My parents went through that with their cars down in Florida.

I guess the good news, like you said, is that Walmart will replace it for the first three years...

How it works: You bring the battery to their customer service counter with your receipt, they take the battery from you without testing it, refund your original purchase price, and you then go over to the automotive department and buy a new one. The new one comes with a new warranty, effectively resetting your warranty.

It got so bad, that after the 3rd battery (in two different vehicles) my father just began swapping them out every 2 years for new ones, whether they were bad or not. You do need to hang on to your receipt, and you'll have to pay any difference if the price has gone up since you bought the last one.

Not sure what is in my Boxster - it was a brand new battery that the dealer (non-Porsche, a Maserati dealer) put in when I bought the car. It's held up well (3 years) - I use the Porsche (branded CTEK) battery charger/conditioner to keep it topped off over the winter if I won't be driving it for over a month.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lapister View Post
Speaking of batteries, please stay away from Walmarts Everstart Maxx H6 which is the correct one for our Boxsters. I have had nothing but bad experience with these. Last Aug my battery died on a drive. Got one from Walmart and by years end did not take a charge. Not one cell would charge. Yesterday, I got a replacement and when I hooked up to a slow charger one out of six cells would not charge. The only good side to these batteries is that they are warranted for 5 years with a free replacement for first 3 years. I will probably drive it for awhile till it downgrades then take it in for another replacement. At every exchange the new 3 year replacement clock resets so I guess I'll never have to buy a new one again! Yeah right! At some point it will be discontinued cause of its reputation. Am I the only one going through this?