View Single Post
Old 01-31-2017, 07:17 AM   #13
billh1963

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer Boy View Post
Slamming American engineering is ridiculous. For all intents and purposes, a Corvette is as quick as a 911 for a lot less money, and it's probably a lot less expensive to maintain, as well. Do you expect the Ford GT will be a bad car?

I recently had a base model Camaro as a rental car, and it not only would smoke my Boxster in a straight line, it would out-handle it as well, all season tires and all.

I realize this is a Porsche forum, but let's not get too far away from reality!
I agree. I currently own more Porsches than many (two Boxsters, four aircooled 911's, three 914's (one with a 2.7 six) and have a 997TT coming in). That's not counting all the ones I have owned before.

That being said, I am no Porsche fanboy. Porsche has had their share of engineering issues over the years...and I'm not just talking about the IMS issues.

Crappy interiors? Anyone remember what was said about the early 986 /996 interiors? They were a huge drop in quality compared to the 993.

Most Corvettes will be sold with automatics...really? What the hell do you think Porsche (and Ferrari, and McLaren and so on) is putting in all their cars? It sure isn't a manual transmission. In fact, I dare say you can get a manual more easily in a Corvette than you can in a 911.

Build quality? Really? Since the water cooled era Porsche's have been built to a price. Don't talk about "door clunking" until you compare the door closing on my 1976 911S to that of a new Porsche. My '76 clunk will bring tears to your eyes. Even my '74 914 has a better "door clunk" than many 986/996's I've looked at or owned.

I've never owned a Corvette. However, I'm getting close. The new Corvette is a helluva a machine for the price. For that matter, so is the new Mustang. My oldest son bought a new one with the V6. With the new IRS, it handles great and will smoke an older 996 while getting better gas mileage.

The car world is changing....

Last edited by billh1963; 01-31-2017 at 07:34 AM.
billh1963 is offline   Reply With Quote